X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Stu Strikes Again!

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
    LJ,

You need to be clear on one issue that apparently you are fogged over on. USD isn't in the slightest bit interested in recieving help from our good neighbors to the north. Not one bit.

There isn't any part of our business model that mirrors or replicates SDSU's. Not one. Not that you haven't had some successes, as you have, but other than your womens basketball team doing exceptionally well last year, what about your program would USD want to duplicate?

You have major budget issues. You are having problems selling tickets to the extent your administration wants. Quite frankly you are having problems getting positive press out of the states leading newspaper. Why would USD want to duplicate that? The answer is in two words: They don't.

Don't come smacking about how superior you are in a sport, because until you play, it is just smack. Want to brag? Play USD. Not for USD's best interest, but to show the WHOLE WORLD just how good you are. As I said in my post to jackmd, quite frankly I am not sure you beat USD in football or mens basketball. I am not sure you don't, but I can build a case statistically where USD shoves the ball down your throat in football. Don't just make statements that sound cool in bashing USD, but rather quantify them. And if you can do that, then qualify them. Simple to do if truth is on your side.

Other than that..........the only way to settle a score is to play. Period. And I know you believe that because of how quickly you cling to the last 4 years performances against NDSU. You beat them, good for you. But don't cling to the head to head argument when it doesn't fit for your smack against USD.
    I guess I don't mind yoteforever.

I don't think USD would mind making it to the NCAA Tourney in their 1st year in volleyball. How about making it to the 2nd round of the tourney in soccer?

"major budget issues"? Like you said everybody has budget issues but if SDSU's are so bad, they would be trying to cut costs. They would schedule games like USD in football because of travel costs. I guess the people "in the know" don't think it's that serious to schedule close games. They haven't scheduled 2 "money games" either. I think as long as USD isn't looking at the playoffs, why not make the money. Hopefully now that USD has their money games, their football team doesn't have to take those long bus trips. I know that was just a transition thing but it was bad.

For the newspaper- Terry does a great job for the newspaper. Stu just wants the teams to play and he lobbies for what he wants. Terry writes the articles and Stu stirs the pot. They both do their jobs well.

I think last year, USD could have played SDSU tough in Men's basketball. Getting Smith back helps but USD lost too much. If USD played at home, it could be a close game but on the road or neutral site SDSU wins. I'm not saying USD couldn't win at SDSU. Even teams like Michigan lose to App. State but SDSU should win 90% at home and probably 60% at USD(my opinion). I guess this year we won't know. I think SDSU might win AT Cal-Poly(back to football). We'll see if I'm right. USD's schedules will be much tougher this year. Playing higher caliber teams night after night/week after week, will be tougher. We'll see how USD responds.

I wouldn't mind USD playing SDSU in football in 2010. After that, see if they fit in again or just move on. USD will schedule other MVC teams because of the short travel. Will USD always give a 2 for 1?

P.S. The Admin won't be happy unless it's a sellout. The attendance is better in most sports except for men's basketball. Even the SDSU/NDSU football game where people were standing 3 deep doesn't satisfy them.
    Last edited by 91jack; 08-19-2009, 10:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
      A case in point is with my friend Nidaros last post. And yes Nidaros, I have come to like and respect your view. But you do have major budget woes. So does USD, NDSU, UND, Iowa State, and Iowa. Most schools do. Now, do they come out and say they do, no, they try to hide it through some sort of creative accounting. That doesn't mean SDSU or any other school for that matter should be shamed, it simply means that they have cash flow problems. Most business's do.
      Ideally, I would like to see quarterly numbers on the SDSU Athletic Departments budget, but the best we see to get is pie charts in the annual report that have no compariabilty and tell you very little. Also the BOR report that is more detailed is often a year old before it goes to the BOR and released to the public. The timeliness in reporting is slow but those who need to know seem to act accordingly if a problem arises so apparently they are very update. On the other hand I am just some nosey alum, who gives monthly and wonders where it is going and how it is going. Yes there probably are cash flow problems and my best evidence is that SDSU fans are asked to renew their football season tickets in April. You go do it and the charge is on your credit card until paid, but SDSU has use of my money from April until game day, but thats not a big deal. Thanks for explaining yourself and no need to go to the penalty box. This was just one time I disagreed with your wording, but maybe did not understand exactly what you were saying.

Hey I look forward to USD and SDSU playing again. It may not happen in 2010, but it will happen. It will be good for South Dakota.

I am not bothered by Stu's recent blog. He is silly to try convince anyone whether a SDSU or USD fan that playing the game in 2010 will solve financial problems for both SDSU or even USD. We have all kinds of people majoring and getting advanced degrees in sports administration and I sure anyone one of those candidates have found that running the financials of a athletic department is not a cake walk.

Comment

I keep waiting for the Stu Whitney/Craig Maddock sports show to air. It'd be really annoying when they agreed with each other, and really funny when they didn't.

Comment

I'm a little annoyed after watching the SportsWeb yesterday. Stu and Mike spent a good bit of time bashing CAS. Sure, it doesn't look like a great stadium (like Augie's teensy stadium, which they apparently think is the greatest thing ever), but I know very few SDSU fans who don't love watching football at CAS.

I guess it doesn't matter what the fans think, only what sportswriters think, but personally, I really love watching games at CAS. Those five or six Saturdays each year are probably my favorite weekends of the entire year. Maybe if those guys ever... EVER talked to fans, they'd realize that CAS may not be perfect, but it's a great place to watch a game.
          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Please feel free to point out where I "bashed" CAS. We were talking about facilities, including the Dykhouse, and then talked about improvements for the future.

Also, make sure to ignore anything positive that might have been said. 35 minutes of talking about SDSU, and you still manage to find the imaginary bias!

Also, you have no idea who I talk to or don't talk to. You may be surprised.

And for Augie, their new stadium IS the greatest thing ever for THEIR program! But what does that have to do with SDSU?

Comment

I guess I didn't think they bashed CAS. I think it has been stated many tmes on this board that the facility is not in great shape, not up to FCS standards, and in the not so distant future safety issues will begin to have to be addressed (and they will).

Augie's stadium is nice. CAS is old. Neither statement reflects on the other.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

I thought the SportsWeb discussion with Mike, Stu and Terry was a good, balanced look at SDSU football. Stu criticized the stadium, but let's face it, the place needs upgrading. CAS will never be upgraded all at once, the way schools with lots of money can do things. But hopefully it can be steadily improved over time, one side at a time. At least SDSU players and fans aren't stuck in the Dakota Dome, which can never be substantially improved.
                This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                  I'm a little annoyed after watching the SportsWeb yesterday. Stu and Mike spent a good bit of time bashing CAS. Sure, it doesn't look like a great stadium (like Augie's teensy stadium, which they apparently think is the greatest thing ever), but I know very few SDSU fans who don't love watching football at CAS.

I guess it doesn't matter what the fans think, only what sportswriters think, but personally, I really love watching games at CAS. Those five or six Saturdays each year are probably my favorite weekends of the entire year. Maybe if those guys ever... EVER talked to fans, they'd realize that CAS may not be perfect, but it's a great place to watch a game.
                  I watched the entire show and don't see where your coming from. Do I enjoy watching games at CAS absolutely, but still does not change the fact it needs to be replaced. I guess when people take shots at CAS I'm not as super sensitive as others and feel I need to defend it. Once the game starts I only care about what happens on the field. As for Augie's stadium it is beautiful and they should be very proud of it! I hope we have something similiar some day on a larger scale.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeHenriksen View Post
                    And for Augie, their new stadium IS the greatest thing ever for THEIR program! But what does that have to do with SDSU?
                    That is the same question I was asking myself during the first few min. of the podcast.

Mike congrats on the new grandson!

Go State!

Comment

I think I see where JJ might be coming from. As supporters of SDSU we all understand that CAS needs some upgrades just like we all understood and supported the move up to DI. Guys like Stu and Mike and Craig who are/were opposed to the move up to DI wouldn't be saying a darn thing about CAS if we we are still DII, Augie probably doesn't have a new stadium if we are still DII and TV isn't a new beat writer at the Argus it we are still DII.

In other words, some of us don't really give two craps what a couple of sportswriters best qualified to cover high school sports or reminisce about high school sports or DII college days and rivalries of the past have to say about the future of the first and largest DI university in the state. Those of us most interested in advancing athletics and academics at SDSU will take care of those details. Those other guys can have O'Gorman, Augie and the Soo Foo Coo.

I love it when these threads are in the smack section.
                      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit View Post
                        That is the same question I was asking myself during the first few min. of the podcast.

Mike congrats on the new grandson!

Go State!
                        EXACTLY. Talking out of two sides of your mouth.....having your own sports podcast or program allows you to do that and then spin it however you want. Some people might even buy it some of the time........

As for CAS, I love the place and look forward to every game played there.
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeHenriksen View Post
                          Please feel free to point out where I "bashed" CAS. We were talking about facilities, including the Dykhouse, and then talked about improvements for the future.

Also, make sure to ignore anything positive that might have been said. 35 minutes of talking about SDSU, and you still manage to find the imaginary bias!

Also, you have no idea who I talk to or don't talk to. You may be surprised.

I apologize, Mike. Really I was reacting to Stu's "what needs to be done at Coughlin, other than getting rid of it" line. You didn't do or say anything in the program that was anything other than entertaining and informative. It was a good show, and I enjoyed it.

I just think that the presumption of some reporters that because the pressbox is unpleasant, the stadium has no value and somehow destroys the credibility of the program is way off the mark. There have been numerous threads here, at bisonville, and anygivensaturday where SDSU fans and visiting fans talk about how much they enjoy gameday at Coughlin. There really are no bad seats there. You're right on top of the action. And the attendance figures surely demonstrate that while CAS should be replaced, it's not hurting the program in any way right now.

But again, it was early and I wasn't clear in my comment. For that I am sorry.
                          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Regarding TV's comments from the show, maybe we can figure something out.

I'd suggest using bungees and ductape to attach a chemical toilet to one side of the press box. If they got a blue one it would even match the school colors.

Comment

Thanks for the explanation and apology JimmyJack. I expect to get crap from a lot of "experts" about my "qualifications" and what I should or should not be talking about, but not from you! You seem to be one of the smarter folks around here!

I frankly don't think we touched on anything that Justin Sell himself did not talk about on his chat with TV today. I highly doubt anyone will rip him, however! The improvements that have been made, and are being made, at CAS, speak for themselves. The atmosphere on a game day is much improved, and mostly because of the crowds! To my knowledge, no one is NOT going to a game because of the facility. But there is no question it is going to become a bigger issue down the road.

Comment

FYI, Stu made his weekly appearance on KWSN with Craig and John and described the SDSU quaterback situation as a mess. I don't know how you can call four capable athletes competing for the job of Ryan Berry's replacement a mess but Stu did. Craig also informed us that in his opinnion any football team that doesn't have a clear cut candidate for quaterback going into the season has little chances of winning. I feel sorry for people who rely on Stu and Craig for their sports infromation. According to these two guys you would think the football program at SDSU was in shambles.

Comment

Working...
                                X