Oakland GDT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oakland GDT

I thought every team would be over 40%, afterall this is D1.

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
    Not really.
    Alabama State, dead last, at 25.8 percent, preceded by Niagara at 26.3, Alabama A&M at 26.6, Stetson 26.8, DePaul 27.2 and our Centenary Gents at 27.3 One, Niagara, has taken 25 more three-point shots than the Jacks. Combined, these teams are 27-81 on the year.

Jacks are third in the nation right now at 42.9 from behind three-point arc. Portland (43.5) and Northern Arizona (45) are better. Combined the three teams are 36-17.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
      Not really.
      Alabama State, dead last, at 25.8 percent, preceded by Niagara at 26.3, Alabama A&M at 26.6, Stetson 26.8, DePaul 27.2 and our Centenary Gents at 27.3 One, Niagara, has taken 25 more three-point shots than the Jacks. Combined, these teams are 27-81 on the year.

Jacks are third in the nation right now at 42.9 from behind three-point arc. Portland (43.5) and Northern Arizona (45) are better. Combined the three teams are 36-17.
      FWIW, Alabama State has two players shooting over 40% from beyond the arc with 17 and 19 attempts on the year. A couple more are shooting over 30%. Guarantee if those guys are left open, they are going to stick it to opponents. Just because a team doesn't shoot the 3 well doesn't mean they don't have individual players who can hit it.

Very few players get to be a guard with regular minutes on a DI basketball team without being able to shoot an open 3. Over the last 5 seasons, how many guards can you remember SDSU playing off 5 feet, besides when we chase? 5 or 10 maybe? That's because every other guard we've faced can shoot the 3. I think its been pretty huge for Dale to be shooting over 40% this year. Every player on the court for SDSU (except Fiegen) is a 3-point threat in opponents eyes (although most SDSU fans probably wouldn't put Dale in that category).

I think SDSU fans are pretty spoiled right now and our perception of "good" 3 point shooting is a little skewed. There are 18 teams in the country shooting better than 40%. There are only about 100 individual players out of over 3500 shooting better than 45%, 2 of them happen to be on our team (Wolters and Callahan). We have 7 guys shooting better than 35%! We get a ton of open looks when we have good perimeter ball movement. Other teams get open looks due to a strong inside presence, which we happen to have a hard time defending so far.
      “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by AugieJackFan View Post
        I thought every team would be over 40%, afterall this is D1.
        Just for comparison (I swear not intended as smack in any way).

Augustana has 2 players shooting over 35% from downtown.

Northern Arizona (#1 in all of DI 3pt %) has 4.

Portland (#2 in all of DI 3pt %) also has 4.

SDSU (#3 in all of DI 3pt %) has 7.

Does anybody else think we're spoiled?
        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

That strange sound you hear from the south is my teeth gnashing at having to dig out from 8 inches of snow here in Kansas City and contemplating snowcovered and slippery roads to the Iowa border, and then the blowing snow in S.D. which scrubbed our drive up there today.

GARRRR!!!!!

I'll be watching via the magic of the Intertubes . . .
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
            Will you be at the game in person or watching on the computer like me?
            Watching online. Sadly, that is a trip I could not make financially.

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
            Agree completely. The guy knows what he's writing about and expresses his thoughts, laced with fact, in a very readable and entertaining manner. Is Hoopsdude a professional writer (working for a news organization somewhere)?
            Thanks a lot! I am honestly just a normal guy...no professional writing or anything like that.

As for Oakland's three-point shooters...you guys are correct that Bader is a threat. His shots come within a set where he'll wait for a pass... so he's very consistent. Reggie Hamilton can also hit the long ball, but he tends to take spot-up threes where he might catch his man off guard or use a screen to get a decent look. Those are the two main guys to look out for, but Valentine and Wright can also go 3 of 5 on a good night, as is probably the case for most college ballers anyway.

Not sure if anyone saw this yet, but the OU-SDSU game is listed at the Game of the Night from the Mid Majority. Scroll all the way to the bottom: http://www.midmajority.com/p/1874

Comment

Originally posted by Hoopsdude18 View Post

Thanks a lot! I am honestly just a normal guy...no professional writing or anything like that.

As for Oakland's three-point shooters...you guys are correct that Bader is a threat. His shots come within a set where he'll wait for a pass... so he's very consistent. Reggie Hamilton can also hit the long ball, but he tends to take spot-up threes where he might catch his man off guard or use a screen to get a decent look. Those are the two main guys to look out for, but Valentine and Wright can also go 3 of 5 on a good night, as is probably the case for most college ballers anyway.

Not sure if anyone saw this yet, but the OU-SDSU game is listed at the Game of the Night from the Mid Majority. Scroll all the way to the bottom: http://www.midmajority.com/p/1874
              And if anyone has that new Rabbit, midmajority is looking to change out the old running rabbit (Bugs). Good read there too.

IMHO the Jacks at Frost is the biggest threat that Oakland faces in taking an L in the Summit this season. Need Rabbit fans to get out and CHEER. About 2 hours until start. GBGBGJ!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Hoopsdude18 View Post

Keep up the writing. I have to say its a good read, I would think you have a few fans here who like to read up, its interesting, well writen and non biased. Its tough combination to find.
                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Collegian Live Blog tonight:

http://www.sdsucollegian.com/sports/men-s-bb-vs-oakland

Comment

dang it, I cant wait, I keep looking on at the clock hoping it says 7, but it still is not there yet. Guess I will have to get back to work for awhile.
                    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Will be logging in from England GO BIG GO BLUE GO JACKS

Comment

ugh.

Comment

we are doubled up 16-8. not a good start, they are scoring way to easy and to many silly fouls. may be a long night.

Comment

we need to get some rebounds. Good put back by moss. lets get some stops. Benson has us outscored by himself.

Comment

Geez, Benson with double-digits...

Dykstra for three

OU responds with a three

22-13 Grizzlies

Comment

This sounds familiar, I think I know where the end game speech is going, we aren't going to be a good team until the team decides to play Defense. Live by the 3, die by the 3.

Comment

Working...
                                X